Asian Chicken Salad with Spicy Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 chicken breast halves with skin and bone (about 1¬†pound total)
- Three ¬ľ-inch slices fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 seedless oranges
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1¬Ĺ tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian hot sauce, such as sriracha
- ¬Ĺ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian dark sesame oil
- ¬Ĺ pound dried Chinese noodles or linguine
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and¬†cut into ¬ľ-inch-thick half-moons
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- ¬Ĺ red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin¬†strips
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or mint
Although winter is the time for rib-sticking food, there¬†are times when a lighter meal would be appropriate‚ÄĒ¬†maybe you live someplace where the weather is¬†warm, or you need a refreshing entr√©e to serve to¬†company for lunch. This salad gives off bursts of¬†flavor; however, it is the familiar but welcome taste of¬†orange that brings it all together.
- Place the chicken, ginger, scallion, and salt in a¬†saucepan and add enough cold water to cover the¬†chicken. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the¬†heat to low and cover. Simmer until the chicken¬†loses its raw look, about 15 minutes. Remove from¬†the heat and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes.¬†Drain the chicken (the broth can be reserved for¬†Asian recipes). Let the chicken cool until easy to¬†handle. Remove and discard the skin and bone.¬†Pull the chicken meat into shreds.
- To make the vinaigrette, grate the zest from 1¬†orange into a small bowl and reserve. Cut off the¬†peel from the oranges. Working over another bowl¬†to collect the juices, cut between the membranes¬†to release the orange segments. Squeeze the¬†juice from the membranes, if necessary, to¬†measure 2 tablespoons.
- Whisk together the orange juice and zest, soy¬†sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce, and hot sauce until¬†combined. Gradually whisk in the vegetable oil,¬†then the sesame oil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over¬†high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to¬†the package directions until tender. Drain and¬†rinse under cold running water. Drain well.
- Transfer the noodles to a bowl. Add the chicken,¬†orange segments, cucumber, scallions, and bell¬†pepper. Add the vinaigrette and toss well. Sprinkle¬†with the cilantro. Taste and season with soy sauce¬†and hot sauce, as desired. Serve at room¬†temperature.