- 1 cup (7 ozs.) vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 cups (14½ ozs.) canned cannellini beans, drained approx. ¾ cup (7 ozs.) can corn drained
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 avocado
- 7 tablespoons (3½ ozs.) plain corn tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
I generally remove the skins from tomatoes unless the fruit is very ripe. Crisp tortilla chips work really well as a contrast to the softness of the avocado and tomatoes in this little starter.
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl, and cover with boiling water.
- After 20 seconds in the boiling water, plunge them straight into cold water. Drain and skin the tomatoes, and remove their seeds with a teaspoon. Roughly chop the flesh.
- Put the chopped tomato, beans, corn, chili pepper and lime juice in a large bowl. Slice the avocado in half lengthwise, and remove the stone. Peel the avocado, then chop the flesh into little chunks. Add it to the beans and tomato.
- Arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer on a serving dish.
- Pile the avocado mixture and beans on top, and drizzle the olive oil over it. Scatter the cilantro leaves over the salad, and serve.