- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces fontina or Taleggio cheese,¬†grated (about 1 1 / 2 cups)
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 / 4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- Basic Potato Gnocchi
Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium¬†heat until just simmering. Add two-thirds of the¬†cheese; stir until melted. Stir in the nutmeg and the¬†pepper. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ¬†F. Butter an 8-inchsquare¬†baking dish; set aside. Bring a large pot of¬†water to a boil; add the salt. Add half the gnocchi;¬†when they rise to the top (after about 2 minutes),¬†continue to cook until tender, about 15 seconds more. Transfer the gnocchi with a slotted spoon to¬†the buttered dish. Repeat the process with the remaining¬†gnocchi.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the gnocchi, and gently¬†toss. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake¬†the gnocchi until golden brown, about 25 minutes