- 1 whole cod (2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 Lemon
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced green pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 11/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 pint oysters and liquor
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Butter or bacon fat
Clean and split the fish. Rub the interior with lemon.
- Sauté the onions, celery, and green pepper in butter until just tender.
- Add the crumbs, the oysters and their liquor, and cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the parsley andmseason to taste with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Stuff the fish with this mixture, secure it with toothpicks and string, and place it in an oiled baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, dot with butter or bacon fat, and bake at 425° according to the Canadian cooking theory .
- Serve with lemon butter or with sauce béchamel to which you have added onion and parsley.