- 8 cups (2 quarts) finely shredded cabbage (you’ll need a 2½-to 2¾-pound cabbage)
- 1 medium-size sweet onion (Vidalia, Spanish, or Bermuda), finely chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup corn or vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ dry teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, depending on how “hot” you like things
Like Sweet-Sour Coleslaw, Barbecue Slaw is a good choice for picnics and tailgate parties.
- For the coleslaw: Place the cabbage and onion in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Toss well and set aside.
- For the dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small nonreactive pan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the hot dressing over the slaw and toss well. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.