- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1¬Ĺ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1¬Ĺ teaspoons sugar
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-¬†inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 Thai chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¬Ĺ cups chopped basil leaves, divided
The basil is just barely cooked so that it retains its lively¬†character and color, so make sure to find absolutely fresh¬†leaves for this recipe ‚ÄĒ nothing limp or beginning to brown.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the fish sauce, the¬†soy sauce, water, and sugar. Add the chicken cubes¬†and stir to coat. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high¬†heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.¬†Add the chilies and garlic and continue to cook for an¬†additional 30 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the¬†marinade and add it to the skillet (reserve the¬†marinade.) Stir-fry until almost cooked through, about¬†3 minutes.
- Add the reserved marinade and cook for an¬†additional 30 seconds. Remove the skillet from the¬†heat and stir in 1 cup of the basil.
- Garnish with the remaining basil, and serve with rice.