- 4 lb. beef
- 2/3 c. diced carrots
- 2 Tb. salt
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 Tb. pepper
- 3 c. potatoes cut into 1/4 in. slices
- 2/3 c. diced turnips
- 2 Tb. Flour
Wipe the meat and cut it into pieces about 2 inches long.Try out some of the fat in a frying pan and brown the pieces of meat in it, stirring the meat constantly so that it will brown evenly.
- Put the browned meat into a kettle with the remaining fat and the bone, cover well with boiling water, and add the salt and pepper.
- Cover the kettle with a tight-fitting lid. Let the meat boil for a minute or two, then reduce the heat, and allow it to simmer for about 2 hours.
- For the last hour, cook the diced turnips, carrots, and onions with the meat, and 20 minutes before serving, add the potatoes.
- When the meat and vegetables are sufficiently cooked, remove the bones, fat, and skin; then thicken the stew with the flour moistened with enough cold water to pour.
- Pour into a deep platter or dish and serve with or without dumplings.
- Sufficient to Serve Eight