A simply stunning color, this classic ¬†Russian soup is the pelfect dish to¬†serve when you want to offer¬†something a little different. All you need is :
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups peeled and chopped beets
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 11/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 large cooking apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 21/4 quarts stock or water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a pinch of dried thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- a few sprigs of fresh dill
The flavor of this marvelous¬†soup matures and improves¬†if it is made the day before¬†it is needed.
- Place the chopped vegetables¬†and apple in a large saucepan¬†with the butter, oil, and 3 tablespoons¬†of the stock or water. Cover and¬†cook slowly for about 15 minutes,¬†shaking the pan occasionally.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and¬†cook for 1 minute. Add the¬†remaining stock or water, the¬†thyme, bay leaf, lemon juice, and¬†seasoning to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Cover¬†the pan and turn down the¬†heat to a slow simmer. Cook for¬†about 30 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables and¬†reserve the liquid. Process the¬†vegetables in a food processor or¬†blender until they are smooth¬†and creamy.
- Return the vegetables to the¬†rinsed pan. Add the reserved¬†stock and reheat. Check the seasoning
- Divide into soup bowls.¬†Garnish with swirls of sour¬†cream in each bowl and top with¬†a few sprigs of fresh dill.