- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 4 large red (or white) onions
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¬Ĺ cup dry white wine
- ¬Ĺ cup chicken or vegetable
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
This easy side¬†dish is ideal with roast pork or chicken.
- Trim off the bases from the fennel bulbs, then cut them¬†lengthwise into thick wedges. Cut the peeled onions into¬†quarters. Set aside.
- Tip the fennel seeds into a mortar with a seasoning of salt¬†and pepper. Grind to a powder. Sprinkle this over the¬†onions and fennel.
- Heat a wide saut√© pan with the olive oil until hot. In batches,¬†fry the onions and fennel over high heat until golden brown,¬†2‚Äď3 minutes on each side. Return all the browned onion¬†and fennel to the pan, then pour in the wine and stock and¬†dot the butter over the vegetables. Cover with a dampened¬†piece of crumpled parchment paper and then with a lid.¬†Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until nearly all¬†of the wine has been absorbed, 30‚Äď40 minutes. Transfer to¬†a warm platter and serve.