- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) cans flaked coconut
- 2 egg whites1
- /4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed Key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Key lime rind
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- To prepare crust, place coconut in thin layer on 2 (10 x 13-inch) cookie sheets.
- Toast coconut at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Stir frequently, and watch carefully. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 250 degrees F.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks, then slowly beat in superfine sugar until completely dissolved.
- Fold in cooled coconut. Press this mixture into greased 9-inch pie place and bake for 7 minutes until set. Remove from oven and let cool.
Filling Blend together sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime rind and rum in large mixing bowl. Beat in the egg yolks. Gently mix in sour cream to combine well. Pour into cooled crust. Swirl meringue over top of filling. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until meringue is nicely browned. Cool, then chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Beat egg whites in large mixing bowl until soft peaks are formed.
- Gradually beat in sugar until whites are stiff, but not dry, making sure the sugar is dissolved.