The zing of fresh ginger root is an¬†ideal complement to the sweetness¬†of cooked carrots.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 51/2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 11/2 quarts chicken stock
- 7 tablespoons whipping cream
- a good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter or margarine.¬†Add the onion and celery¬†and cook for about 5 minutes¬†until soft.
- Stir in the potato, carrots,¬†ginger, and stock. Bring to a¬†boil. Lower the heat to low, cover,¬†and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a food¬†processor or blender and¬†process until it is smooth.
- Alternatively, use a vegetable mill¬†to puree the soup. Return the soup¬†to the pan. Stir in the cream and¬†nutmeg and add salt and pepper¬†to taste. Reheat slowly to serve