- 2 cups heavy cream
- Three 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 9 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 9 quarter-sized slices fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 orange pekoe or Darjeeling tea bags
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
As it is a staple of the¬†holiday party menu, most recipes are for a crowd, but¬†this makes just enough for a few friends‚ÄĒyou can always multiply the ingredients for a larger batch.
- Combine the cream, cinnamon, peppercorns,¬†cardamom, ginger, and cloves in a small¬†saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the¬†heat and add the tea bags. Let stand for 5¬†minutes. Strain through a wire sieve into a¬†heatproof bowl, pressing hard on the tea bags. Let¬†cool completely.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl¬†with an electric mixer on high speed until the¬†mixture is thickened and pale yellow. On low¬†speed, beat in the cream mixture.
- Using clean beaters, beat the egg whites in a¬†greaseproof medium bowl with the mixer on high¬†speed until soft peaks form. Fold the whites into¬†the yolk mixture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled,¬†at least 2 and up to 12 hours. Serve chilled.