- A 3¬Ĺ-pound chicken
- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked in water¬†overnight
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¬Ĺ-¬ĺ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces vermicelli, crushed into bits with your hand
- ¬Ĺ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¬Ĺ cup chopped cilantro
- 5 lemons, cut in wedges, to serve with
Another Moroccan soup, this one too makes a good¬†meal to serve at a party.
- Put the chicken in a large pan with 3 quarts of water. Bring to the¬†boil and remove the scum. Add the chickpeas, onion, tomatoes, and¬†some pepper, and simmer, covered, for I¬Ĺ hours, until the¬†chickpeas are soft. Add the ginger, cinnamon, and salt when the¬†chickpeas begin to soften.
- Lift out the chicken, remove the skin and bones, and cut up into¬†small pieces. Return to the pan and add more water if necessary.
- Add the vermicelli, parsley, and cilantro and cook a few minutes¬†until the vermicelli are tender.
- Serve hot, accompanied by lemon wedges.