- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (11⁄2-inch)
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3/4 cup each: finely chopped onion, red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 11⁄2 cups mixed raisins, coarsely chopped pitted prunes, and dried apricots
- 2–4 tablespoons light rum (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice, warm
Dried fruits make a flavorful sweet broth for chicken stew. Thicken the stew with combined 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 to 3 tablespoons water, if thicker consistency is desired.
- First combine all ingredients, except dried fruit, rum, salt, pepper, and rice, in slow cooker; Than cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours, adding dried fruit and rum during last 1 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper;
- Serve over rice.