- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 lb (675g) ground round
- one 15oz (420g) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- one 14.5oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped cilantro and sour cream
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chile powder and cumin, then the beef. Cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until it browns all over, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with cilantro and topped with sour cream.