- ¬Ĺ cup plain dried bread crumbs
- ¬Ĺ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¬ľ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse salt (for lining the baking sheet)
- 12 small Manila clams, scrubbed and shucked (shells¬†reserved)
This is an easy yet impressive appetizer‚ÄĒespecially¬†perfect for a romantic evening for two. While any type of¬†clam would work in this recipe, I use Manilas because¬†they are hard-shelled and have less grit inside‚ÄĒand they¬†are easier to find in supermarkets. But you could also use¬†littlenecks, cherrystones, or nearly any other large or¬†medium-size clam.
- Preheat The Broiler. In a large bowl, gently toss the¬†bread crumbs, ¬Ĺ cup of oil, all the herbs, the kosher salt,¬†bread crumbs, ¬Ĺ cup of oil, all the herbs, the kosher salt,¬†and the pepper. Be careful not to overwork the mixture.
- Set aside.
- Line a heavy baking sheet with coarse salt and arrange¬†12 clam shells atop the salt. Place one clam in each shell,¬†then top each with 2 tablespoons of the bread-crumb¬†mixture. Drizzle with more oil. Broil until the breadcrumb¬†topping is golden and the clams are just cooked¬†through, about 2 minutes.