- 1 pound Maine Jonah crabmeat (or¬†use a good-quality canned¬†crabmeat if you can‚Äôt get fresh)
- 1 bunch scallions (about 5 scallions),¬†white and green parts, chopped
- 1 jalape√Īo, cored, seeded, and minced¬†(leave some seeds for spicier taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons virgin or refined olive oil
- 1 pound Heirloom tomatoes (or any¬†fresh vine-ripened tomatoes)
- 1 bunch arugula
This salad combines lycopene-rich tomatoes and nutrient-dense¬†arugula with fresh crab for a lighthearted lunch.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crabmeat, scallions, jalape√Īos,¬†salt, and pepper. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and stir. Set¬†aside.
- ¬†Heat a cast iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high¬†heat. Add the virgin or refined olive oil to the skillet and let it¬†smoke.
- ¬†Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes into 1-inch-thick slices, and¬†season with salt and pepper.
- ¬†Sear each tomato in the hot oil, being careful not to char too¬†much. Remove the tomatoes from the skillet and chop them.
- ¬†Divide the arugula between four salad plates, setting aside a¬†little for garnishing. Place a spoonful of crab salad onto each¬†pile of arugula, then top with the charred tomatoes and garnish¬†with additional arugula. Serve immediately.