- 4 Pound Fresh beefsteak tomatoes; quartered
- 3 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Cup Chopped yellow onions
- 1 Cup Chopped celery
- 1 Cup Chopped carrots
- Salt; to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper; to taste
- 1 Pinch Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoon Minced garlic
- 1/2 Gallon Chicken stock
- 1/4 Cup Finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream
Prepare the smoker, according to the manufacturers directions. In a mixing bowl, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the tomatoes on the rack of the smoker and place in the smoker. Smoke the tomatoes for 30 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the smoker and set aside, including the tomato juices.
- In a stock pan, heat the remaining olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, saute the onions, celery and carrots. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Saute the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, smoked tomatoes and tomato juices. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Using a handâˆ’held blender, puree half of the soup. Stir in the parsley.
- Reseason with salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the heavy cream and serve.