- One 8-ounce package sliced button mushrooms
- One 10.75-ounce can condensed low-fat cream of chicken soup,
- ½ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded skinless chicken breast meat from a rotisserie or roast chicken
- ¼ cup jarred cocktail onions, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Bisquick Heart Smart baking mix
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
Comfort food like chicken pot pie may lift your spirits, but it will weigh your body down. I know—there are few things more satisfying than biting through a super- flaky, buttery crust into a creamy, savory filling of chicken and vegetables. Pie dough is essentially flour used as a vehicle for fat.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine the mushrooms, soup, water, and thyme in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the mushrooms are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables, chicken, and onions to the saucepan. Season with pepper to taste. Pour the chicken mixture into an 8×8-inch glass baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking mix, milk, and egg substitute. Stir to thoroughly combine. Use an offset spatula to spread the dough over the top of the chicken mixture, covering it evenly.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet, and bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.