- 8 fresh soft-shell crabs, cleaned and dressed
- ½ cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsifted stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large lemons, quartered lengthwise
This dish will surely become your new favorite crab recipe.
- Wash the crabs under cool running water and pat dry on paper toweling. Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a pie pan, then dredge the soft-shells in the mixture on both sides, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large, heavy skillet over high heat for about 2 minutes or until almost smoking.
- Add half the crabs and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until crisply browned. Lift to paper toweling to drain. Brown the rest of the crabs the same way, adding the remaining butter, and if needed, another 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Serve hot with wedges of lemon.