Curried Couscous Pilaf
- 1 cup couscous (the larger-grained¬†variety, if you can find it, but any¬†type will work)
- 1‚ĀĄ4 cup Curry Oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1‚ĀĄ2 cup dried currants, plumped in
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1‚ĀĄ2 bunch scallions
- 1 fresh jalape√Īo pepper, seeded and¬†diced very small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced very small
- 1‚ĀĄ2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and¬†diced very small
- 1‚ĀĄ2 red onion, peeled and diced very¬†small
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime¬†juice
- 1 1‚ĀĄ2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 1‚ĀĄ2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
This twist on plain couscous adds spice, color, and texture to¬†chicken, fish, or tofu. Or enjoy this dish as a simple salad for¬†lunch.
- ¬†Mix the couscous with the curry oil in a stainless steel bowl.¬†Pour the boiling water over the couscous mixture. Cover the¬†bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Mix the currants, scallions, jalape√Īos, carrots, red peppers,¬†and onions into the couscous. Season with salt and pepper,¬†green Tabasco, and the lime juice.
- Garnish with the chopped mint and cilantro. Serve at room¬†temperature.