- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 11⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 11⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 to 8 cups cooked white rice
Fresh chicken broth is best, but canned or broth made from bouillon is good, too. This dish is also great served over mashed potatoes or egg noodles instead of rice. You may add sautéed vegetables, such as broccoli and red peppers, to this dish.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan. Blend in the flour, curry powder, salt, ginger, and sugar. Add the onions; cook until translucent.
- Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to a simmer; add the cooked chicken and lemon juice. Heat thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.