- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts, finely ground in
- a spice or coffee mill
- Â½ cup (4 ounces/1 stick) unsalted butter
- â…“ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (from Â 2 medium oranges)
- â…” cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 to 6 ounces dark baking chocolate, preferably 72% cocoa, finely chopped
Chocolate pairs well with a variety of flavors. For these Middle Eastern-inspired cookies, Iâ€™ve paired rich dark chocolate with the flavors of oranges and pistachios.
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F. Line 2 cookie pans with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour and ground nuts together in a medium bowl until blended and set aside. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter, maple syrup, orange juice concentrate, orange zest, and sugar to boiling. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the flour and nut mixture. Let cool to room temperature and then stir in the chopped chocolate. The dough will be stiff.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough 3 inches apart on the parchment-lined pans. Bake cookies about 10 to 11 minutes.