For the dressing:
- ¬ľ cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped serrano chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¬ľ teaspoon black pepper
- ¬ľ cup lemon juice
- 1 pound beef steak
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves removed and discarded,¬†inner stalk finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 tomato, finely sliced
- ¬Ĺ cup mint leaves
- Bibb or romaine lettuce leaves
This entr√©e salad is one of my favorites ‚ÄĒ somehow hearty¬†and light at the same time.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender¬†and process until well incorporated; set aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Over a hot¬†fire, grill to medium-rare (or to your liking). Transfer¬†the steak to a platter, cover with foil, and let rest for 5¬†to 10 minutes before carving.
- Slice the beef across the grain into thin slices.
- Place the beef slices, any juices from the platter, and¬†the remaining salad ingredients, except the lettuce, in¬†a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and toss to¬†coat.
- To serve, place lettuce leaves on individual plates¬†and mound the beef mixture on top of the lettuce.