- Kosher salt
- 1½ pounds broccoli rabe, washed and trimmed of tough or split stems
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced paper-thin
- ½ pound chicory, washed and chopped crosswise into 2-inch sections
- ½ pound arugula, washed
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
The greens are delicious served cold as well as hot, so they make a great picnic dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe for 3 minutes, then plunge it immediately into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the olive oil and garlic in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and cook until the garlic is just golden around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Do not let the garlic burn. Remove the garlic from the pan and set it aside.
- Increase the heat to high, add the broccoli rabe and chicory, and cook until the chicory has wilted. Add the arugula, season with salt, and add red pepper flakes to taste. Cook until the arugula wilts, stirring frequently. It will only take a minute or two, so don’t take your eye off the pan, or the arugula will overcook. Return the garlic to the pan, stir, and serve immediately.