- 2 pounds (1 kg) well-trimmed lamb stew meat
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 420 g) great northern or¬†cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (8 ounces, or 225 g) frozen pearl onions
- 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (15 g) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) preminced oil-packed garlic
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 g) refrigerated or jarred tomato¬†sauce with red wine
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry red wine
Slow cooking is the flavor secret of many a¬†French grand-m√®re. This stew cooks in the oven,but if you prefer a Crock-pot, let it cook for 7 to 8¬†hours on the low-heat setting. A salad of curly¬†endive, ripe pear slices, and walnuts makes a¬†wonderful accompaniment.
- Preheat the oven to 350¬įF (180¬į, or gas mark 4). In a¬†large ovenproof pot, combine the lamb, beans, onions, flour,¬†parsley, garlic, herbes, and pepper.
- Stir until the flour coats¬†all the ingredients. Add the sauce and wine. Stir to mix. Cover¬†tightly. Bake until the lamb is fork tender, about 2 hours.