- 3 medium beets, peeled
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red wine
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Beet juice stains. To peel beets easily without staining your fingertips, peel them under slowly running water. The juice will rinse away before it has time to stain your fingertips.
- Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add the beets and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beets are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the beets from the Dutch oven using a slotted spoon. Reserve the cooking liquid in the pot .
- Add the cabbage to the cooking liquid and stir until well coated. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Drain the cabbage, reserving 1⁄4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Whisk together the 1⁄4 cup reserved cooking liquid with the wine, vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
- Arrange the cabbage in a 2- quart casserole and top with the beets. Pour the cooking liquid mixture evenly over the top. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold. The casserole keeps well in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.