- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift flour, ginger and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, toss in the sugar, then lightly rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add syrup and mix all together to form a stiff paste.
- Divide paste into 16 equal pieces by cutting the mixture in half, then each half into halves and so on.
- Make sure that each cookie is the same size. Toll each piece into a ball between the palms of your hands.
- Place each ball on a large, lightly greased baking sheet, leaving plenty of room for each to expand.
- Using a wooden spoon, press down on each one to flatten it slightly.
- Put into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until they are done.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the sheet for a little while. Using a spatula, place each on a wire rack for final cooling.
- Eat immediately with vanilla ice cream or store in an airtight container.