You can mix together the cucumber, herbs,¬†and onion in advance, if you like, but stir¬†in the yogurt and salt at the last minute.
- 1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- Grated zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh¬†mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh¬†dill
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 English cucumbers
- ¬ľ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint¬†leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ‚Öď cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon¬†juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
This dish looks fabulous as part of a¬†dinner spread, with nice grill marks on the¬†chicken and all those fresh, crunchy¬†cucumbers on top. I serve it with a side of¬†quinoa with chopped-up grilled lemon¬†slices and toasted pine nuts or some warm¬†jasmine rice. The yogurt used to marinate¬†the chicken tenderizes it and helps all the¬†flavors really stick.
- To make the marinade, mix all of the¬†marinade ingredients together in a shallow¬†baking dish. Working with two chicken¬†breasts at a time, place them between two¬†pieces of plastic wrap and pound them to¬†an even thickness of about ¬Ĺ inch. Put the¬†chicken in the dish with the marinade and¬†turn so that it is fully coated. Let marinate¬†at room temperature for at least 15¬†minutes, or for a few hours in the fridge.
- To make the tzatziki, slice each cucumber¬†in half lengthwise. Use a small spoon to¬†scoop out the seeds in the center. Slice¬†each half lengthwise into four or five long¬†sticks, then dice. You should have about 3¬†cups. In a mixing bowl, stir together the¬†cucumbers, red onion, mint, dill, and¬†garlic. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, ¬Ĺ¬†teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste. Taste¬†and adjust the seasonings as desired. This¬†is what gives flavor to a very lean piece¬†of chicken, so don‚Äôt skimp on the flavors¬†here.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat,¬†making sure the grates are clean. Grill the¬†chicken until the internal temperature¬†reaches 180¬įF on an instant-read¬†thermometer, about 4 minutes per side. Let¬†the chicken rest for a few minutes before¬†serving each breast with a large scoop of¬†the tzatziki.