Green chile bread pudding
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup (2 1/2 ounces) loosely packed coarsely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) loosely packed coarsely shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 6 1/2 cups trimmed and cubed (1-inch) day-old French or Italian bread
- Adjust rack to lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously butter a 12-cup (2 1/4-inch, scant 1/2 cup capacity) muffin tin. (If you prefer to use ramekins or mini-muffin pans, see cook's note).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and cream to blend thoroughly.
- Mix in the chili powder, salt, cumin and oregano, then mix in the cheeses and chiles.
- Add the bread; mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin tin cups.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife blade inserted into the centers comes out clean.
- Cool 5 to 10 minutes. Slide a knife blade around puddings to loosen them; lift out of molds with a small spatula.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Makes 12 servings.
- You also may make the bread puddings in ramekins, individual custard cups, or mini-muffin pans.
- Adjust baking times as follows: Place filled ramekins or custard cups on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes; or bake pudding in mini-muffin pans for about 15 minutes.