- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup finely diced cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crumbled thyme
Cut the potatoes in half, cook in a saucepan of simmering water until not quite done and still firm, about 10 minutes. Rinse in cold water to stop cooking. Drain. Dice to 1/2-inch thick pieces. Set aside
- Melt butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium low to medium heat. Add onion, cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the chopped bell pepper, cook another 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Cook hash until well browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Best not to use a stick-free pan or the hash won't brown very well.