- 12 puff pastry squares (5 x 5 inches each)
- 12 thin slices ham
- 6 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon water, and additional water, as needed
- 1 egg
- Lettuce (optional), for serving
- Tomato slices (optional), for serving
Any type of meat can replace the ham.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lay the puff pastry squares out on a lightly floured surface. Place 2 slices of ham on half of the squares, leaving a ¼-inch border all the way around. Spread 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard evenly over the ham, and top with 1 slice of Swiss cheese.
- Lightly brush the border of each square with water. Place the remaining square evenly on top of the cheese. With the prongs of a fork, seal the pastry all the way around.
- Combine the egg with the water, beat well. With a pastry brush, baste all of the squares with the egg wash, and prick the tops with a fork. Place the squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy. Serve the pockets immediately. Garnish with the lettuce and tomato.