Hot Buttered Rum
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room¬†temperature
- ¬Ĺ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¬ľ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup dark rum
- About 6 cups boiling water
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish (optional)
To take the chill off a cold winter‚Äôs night, there is¬†nothing like hot buttered rum.
- In a medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set¬†at high speed, beat together the butter, brown sugar,¬†cinnamon, and nutmeg until light in color and texture, about¬†2 minutes. (If making the spiced butter ahead, transfer to a¬†small container, cover, and refrigerate. Bring to room¬†temperature before using.)
- For each drink, place about 1¬Ĺ tablespoons of the¬†spiced butter into a mug. Add 2 tablespoons rum and¬†enough boiling water (about ¬ĺ cup) to almost fill the mug. If¬†desired, garnish with a cinnamon stick. Using the cinnamon¬†stick or a spoon, stir to dissolve the butter. Serve¬†immediately.