- 1 tsp finely shredded lime peel,
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion,
- 1/2 tsp salt,
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut,
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice,
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper,
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped,
- 3 3-1/2-pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut up,
- 6 cups water,
- Pita bread rounds or flour tortillas,
- Spinach leaves and/or peeled and sliced papaya or mango.
This¬†Island Chicken Sandwiches are so easy to make but so delicious. First you have to rinse chicken; pat dry.
- Place chicken in a 4-1/2-quart Dutch oven. Add water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, or till chicken is tender and no pink remains. Remove chicken from Dutch oven; reserve the broth for another use. When cool enough to handle, skin, bone, and shred chicken.
- In a large mixing bowl combine warm chicken, lime peel, lime juice, salt, and lemon pepper; toss to mix. Stir in coconut, green onion, and jalape?o peppers.
- Line pita pockets or tortillas with spinach and/or papaya or mango and add chicken mixture; roll up the flour tortillas, if using.
- Enjoy Island Chicken Sandwiches!