- 11⁄2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed
- Six 16- ounce cans beans (mixture of garbanzo, baked, kidney, and Great Northern)
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 large green bell peppers, diced
- Two 6- ounce cans tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
It is a dish that can be served with almost any meat.
- Cut the sausage into bite- sized pieces. Fry it in a skillet and drain off the fat.
- Drain the beans and pour them into a slow cooker. Add the onions, bell peppers, tomato paste, bay leaves, mustard, brown sugar, oregano, and garlic salt. Add the sausage to the bean mixture and mix well. Scrape the browned bits from the skillet into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high until the mixture bubbles. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours. Drain any excess liquid. Remove the bay leaves before serving.