- 4 slices of dense, whole-grain bread
- ½ to 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped into bite-size pieces, stems removed (4 cups or more)
- No-tahini hummus
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 4 thick slices, optional
This sandwich is stunningly delicious and tastes as good as it is healthy.
- Toast bread well. If using a very dense bread or a rye or pumpernickel double or even triple toast. Make it almost crackerlike. Cut the ends off the lemon, zest them, then squeeze the juice from the ends into a bowl with the zest. Discard the ends. VERY thinly slice the main part of the lemon and set aside.
- Put kale in a pot with 3 to 4 inches of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes; check frequently. Kale is good when cooked to an almost spinachlike tenderness. Drain well, shaking the strainer until all water is gone, then sprinkle the kale in the strainer with the reserved lemon zest and juice. LOTS of lemon makes this good!
- Spread the toast thickly with hummus, sprinkle with green onions, pile cilantro on top of the green onions, and then place lemon slices over the cilantro. Put a big handful of lemony kale on top. It is delicious just like that, or top with a tomato slice. And there you have it: health in a bite.