- 2 pounds shoulder of lamb, cut into large pieces
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon saffron
- Two 14-ounce packages frozen artichoke bottoms, defrosted
- Two 7-ounce packages frozen skinned fava beans, defrosted
- Juice of ¬Ĺ-1 lemon
- ¬Ĺ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 preserved lemon peel , cut into strips (optional if¬†garnish)
This Moroccan tagine is easy to make with the frozen¬†artichoke bottoms from Egypt and frozen skinned fava beans (both¬†really good) available in Middle Eastern stores.
- Put the meat with the onions, butter or oil, salt, pepper, ginger,¬†and saffron in a pan and cook, turning over the meat, for about 5¬†minutes. Cover with water and simmer, covered, for 1¬Ĺ hours, or¬†until the meat is very tender, adding water if it becomes too dry.
- Remove the lid and reduce the sauce at the end.
- Add the artichoke bottoms, fava beans, and lemon juice and cook¬†10 minutes, until the artichokes are tender. Add the cilantro and¬†cook 1 or 2 minutes more.
- Serve hot, garnished if you like, with the preserved lemon peel.