- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates or seedless raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules (or 3 bouillon cubes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 31⁄2 pounds whole lamb leg roast
- Parsley, optional
The recipe works well with lamb chops or shanks, too.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the sherry, dates, ginger, bouillon, soy sauce, curry powder, garlic salt, and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides. Place the lamb in a Dutch oven on a wire rack. Pour the sherry mixture over the lamb, cover tightly, and bake, basting frequently with the sherry mixture, for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove the lamb from the oven. Place on a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice the lamb and arrange on a serving platter.
- Skim the fat from the pan liquids and pour the sauce evenly over all. Garnish with parsley, if desired.