A combination of sour cream and gelatin makes this sherbet rich and smooth.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar;
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup;
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- 11⁄2 cups milk;
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream;
- A few grains of salt;
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin;
- 2 tablespoons cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and lemon juice. Heat milk and sour cream to scalding and add the salt.
- Soften the gelatin in cold water, then add to the hot milk and stir until dissolved.
- Cool completely, then add the lemon juice mixture. Turn into a freezer tray and freeze 1 hour. Remove from the freezer, turn into a bowl, and beat with a rotary beater until very light.
- Place mixture in the tray and return to freezer until frozen. Or freeze in a hand-cranked freezer according to the manufacturer's directions.
MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART