- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toastedÂ sesame oil
- 2 leeks, rinsed and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup dried navy or cannelliniÂ beans cooked in 21/2 cupsÂ water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 cups fresh or frozen shelledÂ edamame (green soy beans),Â cooked
- 1 cup fresh basil leavesÂ , minced
- 1 cup (about 1/2 pound) feta,Â crumbled (use tofu for veganÂ version)
- 2 eggs, whipped (omit forÂ vegan version)
- 1 cup fine bread crumbsÂ (panko, a prepared breadÂ crumb product available inÂ most grocery stores, is a greatÂ alternative to making yourÂ own bread crumbs)
This works perfectly as a main dish, but can also work as a sideÂ dish with fish, chicken, or tofu. The recipe can also be preparedÂ completely vegan by substituting a cup of crumbled tofu for theÂ eggs and cheese.
- Heat the oils, sautĂ© the leeks for 2 to 3 minutes, then addÂ the garlic, red peppers, and beans and continue to sautĂ© forÂ another 4 to 5 minutes. Add the salt, lime juice, water, cumin,Â and edamame.
- Bring the bean mixture to a simmer overÂ medium heat and then add the basil, cheese, eggs, and breadÂ crumbs. Heat through.