- 1‚ĀĄ2 pound lean ground beef
- 1‚ĀĄ2 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1‚ĀĄ4 teaspoon freshly ground black¬†pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa (optional, a spicy¬†Tunisian condiment)
- 1‚ĀĄ2 cup water, or as much as needed
This spicy sausage originated in North Africa but is also popular¬†in France. Shaped into small patties, merguez makes a good¬†appetizer or can be part of a meze platter. For a meal, serve this¬†with couscous, pita wedges, and a crisp green salad or stuff¬†them into pita bread halves topped with cucumbers, scallions,¬†lettuce, and plain yogurt or Mint Yogurt.
- ¬†Combine all the ingredients in a stand mixer with a paddle or¬†with your hands. Add more or less water to get a consistency¬†you can easily form into patties.
- ¬†Form the meat into small patties, about 2 inches in diameter.
- ¬†Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy saut√© pan over medium heat.¬†Cook the patties in batches until done, about 5 minutes on each¬†side. Serve warm.