Mocha Nut Crinkles
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1¬Ĺ teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon salt
- 12/3 cups granulated sugar
- ¬Ĺ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¬Ĺ cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¬ĺ cup confectioners‚Äô sugar, for rolling
The dough must be chilled for at least 2¬†hours. The cookies can be baked up to 1 week ahead.
- In the top part of a double boiler set over barely¬†simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally.¬†Remove from the water and cool the chocolate until tepid.
- In a glass measuring cup, heat 1 tablespoon of the¬†milk in a microwave on High until boiling. Add the espresso¬†powder and stir to dissolve. Stir in the remaining ¬ľ cup¬†milk.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and¬†salt together. In another large bowl, using a handheld¬†electric mixer set at high speed, beat together the¬†granulated sugar and shortening until well combined. Beat¬†in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla. Reduce the¬†mixer speed to low. Mix in the melted chocolate. A third at a¬†time, alternately beat in the flour and milk mixtures. Stir in¬†the walnuts. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until¬†chilled and firm, at least 2 hours.
- Position racks in the center and top third of the oven¬†and preheat to 350¬įF. Place the confectioners‚Äô sugar in a¬†small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon for each, roll the dough into¬†1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the confectioners‚Äô sugar to¬†coat, then place 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with¬†nonstick baking pads.
- Bake, switching the position of the baking sheets from¬†top to bottom and back to front halfway through baking, until¬†the cookies are set with crisp edges, about 15 minutes.¬†Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to¬†wire racks to cool completely.