- 1 large seedless orange
- 12 whole cloves 12 allspice berries
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed (optional)
- One 1¬Ĺ-liter bottle fruity red wine, such as Merlot
- 1 cup honey
- 2/3 cup orange-flavored liqueur, preferably Grand¬†Marnier or Grand Gala
Use a fruity but full-bodied red wine. Merlot¬†is a good choice, but Zinfandel or¬†Cabernet Sauvignon also work.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the¬†orange. Rinse and wring out a 12-inch-square piece of¬†cheesecloth. Wrap the orange zest, cloves, allspice,¬†cinnamon sticks, and cardamom, if using, in the¬†cheesecloth and tie with a piece of kitchen string. Cut the¬†orange in half and squeeze the juice from the orange. Set¬†the juice aside.
- In a large nonaluminum pot, combine the wine, honey,¬†Grand Marnier, orange juice, and spice packet. Heat,¬†stirring occasionally to dissolve the honey, over low heat¬†until hot but not boiling, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a¬†slow cooker set on Low and serve hot.