Mushroom and Herb Potage
Do not worry if this soup is not completely smooth- it is especially nice when it has a slightly nutty, textured consistency. All you need is:
- 2 ounces smoked bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 12 ounces open portobello mushrooms or a¬†mixture of wild and cremini mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups good meat stock
- 2 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mixed herbs,¬†such as sage, rosemary, thyme, and¬†marjoram, or 2 teaspoons Italian¬†seasoning
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a few sprigs of sage or marjoram, to garnish
- 4 tablespoons thick plain yogurt or sour¬†cream, to serve
Roughly chop the bacon and¬†place in a large saucepan.¬†Cook slowly until all the fat comes¬†out of the bacon.
- Add the onion and soften,¬†adding oil if necessary. Wipe¬†the mushrooms clean, roughly¬†chop, and add to the pan. Cover¬†and sweat until they are¬†completely soft and their liquid¬†has run out.
- Add the stock, sherry, herbs¬†or Italian seasoning, and salt¬†and black pepper to taste. Cover¬†and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Process the soup in a food¬†processor or blender until smooth,¬†but don't worry if you still have a¬†slightly textured result.
- Check the seasoning and heat¬†through. Serve with a dollop¬†of yogurt or sour cream and a¬†sprig of fresh sage or marjoram in¬†each bowl.