- Â˝ cup light brown sugar, packed
- Â˝ cup sugar
- 1 cup Nutella, plus more for filling
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2Â˝ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ÂĽ cup raw sugar
I donâ€™t know anyone who doesnâ€™t like Nutella, that perfect chocolate-hazelnut spread. These cookie sandwiches are great little bites at the end of a meal, and they also make great birthday party treats or holiday gifts.
- Preheat oven to 325Â°F. Have two nonstick baking sheets ready or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Â In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the brown sugar, sugar, and Nutella on the second-lowest speed for 1 minute or until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Add the butter and mix on the third-lowest speed for 2 minutes, or until whipped and light in color.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixer on the lowest speed setting. Mix all ingredients for 2 minutes, stopping halfway through to scrape down the inside of the mixing bowl to incorporate all the ingredients. The dough will come together and pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl. It will look a little crumblyâ€”thatâ€™s okay.
- Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour to prevent sticking. With your hands, scoop out one-third of the dough and mold it into a small brick on your work surface. Rolling from the center outâ€”â€śnorth, south, east, and westâ€ťâ€”gently roll the dough into a â…™-inch-thick sheet. Dust the surface of the dough with a little flour before rolling. If the dough starts to tear or stick to the rolling pin, dust with a little more flour.
- Â Using a 2-inch ring mold or 2-inch circular cookie cutter, punch out cookies and place them on nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Â Add some dough from the mixing bowl to whatâ€™s left over on your work surface and pull it together and roll like you did in Step 4. Punch out more cookies and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Placing the cookie sheets on the middle and lower oven racks, bake the cookies for 5 minutes, remove them from the oven, and sprinkle evenly with raw sugar. Put the cookies back in the oven, rotating the baking sheets 180 degrees, and switching the upper and lower cookie sheet positions so they bake evenly for 5 more minutes.
- Â Remove the cookies from the oven, let rest on the baking sheet for 1 minute, and use a clean offset spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Â When cooled, fill a piping bag (or Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off) with Nutella. Pipe 1Â˝ teaspoons on the flat surface of half the cookies, and top with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate in a sealed container for 1 hour before serving.