Nutty Angel Fingers
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons confectionersâ€™ sugar, plus about
- 1 cup for coating the cookies
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely chopped pecans or walnuts
The cookies can be baked up to 1 weekÂ ahead.
- Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the ovenÂ and preheat to 350Â°F.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set onÂ medium-high speed, beat the butter with 6 tablespoonsÂ confectionersâ€™ sugar until light in texture and color, about 2Â minutes. Mix in the vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, work inÂ the flour, then the chopped nuts, to make a crumbly dough.Â Gather up the dough and press it together.
- Using 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie,Â squeeze the dough in your fist to make a rough 2Â˝-inch log.Â Roll the log between your palms to smooth it. Place the logsÂ 1 inch apart on cookie sheets lined with nonstick bakingÂ pads. (These cookies donâ€™t spread during baking, but donâ€™tÂ put them too close together or they wonâ€™t brown as nicely.)
- Bake, switching the position of the cookie sheets fromÂ top to bottom and back to front halfway through baking, untilÂ lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Donâ€™t underbake theÂ cookies or they will crumble. Place Â˝ cup of the remainingÂ confectionersâ€™ sugar into a small bowl. Let the cookiesÂ stand on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then roll the warmÂ cookies in the sugar. Transfer to wire racks to coolÂ completely. Before serving, roll the cookies again in theÂ remaining Â˝ cup confectionersâ€™ sugar to freshen theirÂ coating.