- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1¬ľ cups superfine sugar
- ¬ĺ cup dark rum
- ¬ĺ cup brandy
- ¬ľ cup bourbon
- 1¬Ĺ quarts heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 pint high-quality vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for serving
To make your own superfine sugar, process regular¬†granulated sugar, about ¬Ĺ cup at a time, in a food¬†processor or blender until finely ground. It will take 1 to 2¬†minutes per batch.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at high speed,¬†beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale yellow.¬†Beat in the rum, brandy, and bourbon, then the cream.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at high speed,¬†with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until soft peaks¬†form. Fold into the eggnog. Cover tightly with plastic wrap¬†and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or¬†overnight.
- Transfer to a punch bowl. Using scissors, cut the¬†container away from the ice cream, keeping the ice cream¬†intact in one piece. Place the ice cream in the eggnog.¬†Grate the nutmeg over the eggnog and serve immediately.