Olive Oil Croutons
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, butter, or a combination
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 4 thick slices good bread
A crouton is not only a little cube of bread you use in salads or for stuffing, it is also a perfectly toasted slice that makes a wonderful side dish.
- Pour the oil into a large skillet and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until it is lightly browned, less than 5 minutes.
- Add the bread slices and cook, turning occasionally and adjusting the heat so they brown nicely, 2 or 3 minutes per side. Remove and sprinkle lightly with salt; serve hot or at room temperature.