- 8 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely¬†chopped
- 3 cups milk
- Zest of 1 orange, removed in strips with a vegetable¬†peeler
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 8 to 12 Homemade Marshmallows
This is a very grown-up version of that childhood¬†favorite, hot chocolate topped with marshmallows.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small¬†saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the¬†chocolate, and let stand for 3 minutes. Whisk until¬†smooth.
- Bring the milk, orange zest, and cinnamon to a¬†simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low¬†heat. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5¬†minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove and¬†discard the orange zest and cinnamon. Add the¬†melted chocolate and whisk well. Reheat, whisking¬†constantly, until piping hot.
- Ladle into 4 large mugs and top each with 2 or 3¬†marshmallows. Serve immediately.