ORECCHIETTE WITH SPICY SAUSAGE and Broccoli Rabe
- 2 bunches of broccoli rabe, stalks trimmed and¬†quartered crosswise
- 12 ounces dried orecchiette pasta or other small¬†shaped pasta, such as farfalle or penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage, casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced Pinch of dried crushed red¬†pepper flakes
- ¬ľ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¬Ĺ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
This recipe is a prime example that you don‚Äôt need¬†tomato sauce to make a great-tasting pasta dish. And¬†here‚Äôs a bonus: It tastes great at room temperature, so it‚Äôs¬†perfect for picnics and casual buffet lunches.
- Bring a Large Pot of salted water to a boil. Add the¬†broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 1¬†minute. Strain the broccoli rabe, reserving all the¬†minute. Strain the broccoli rabe, reserving all the¬†cooking liquid. Set the broccoli rabe aside. Cook the¬†orecchiette in the same pot of boiling salted water until¬†tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally,¬†about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking¬†liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over a¬†medium flame. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up¬†with a spoon, until the sausage is brown and juices form,¬†about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes,¬†and saut√© until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the¬†broccoli rabe and toss to coat. Add the pasta and enough¬†reserved cooking liquid, ¬ľ cup at a time, to moisten. Stir¬†the Parmesan cheese, salt to taste, and pepper into the¬†pasta mixture. Transfer to pasta bowls and serve.